As a best high school in Henderson, NSHS gives tips on how to prepare for the ACT exam. Preparation for the exam comes with an understanding that the ACT exam is based on a college-going curriculum. This is a standardized test that measures skills in five areas including: English, math, reading, science, and writing – which is an optional portion of the test. Taking the writing portion is HIGHLY recommended as some colleges will have this as an entrance requirement. It’s best and safe to say, “just register and take the writing portion.” Many other tips on how to prepare the ACT exam exist and are basic to preparation for any exam including:
Tips on how to prepare for the ACT exam
- Register online to take the exam at act.org, at least two months before the test (determine where you want your scores sent (colleges of your choice and your local high school — Nevada State High School’s ACT code is 290067);
- Prepare during the 1 – 2 months leading up to the test and make a regular schedule to study (minimum 5 – 10 hours per week – it will make a BIG difference in receiving a good score) (proper preparation prevents poor performance), use an online study program (here is a FREE one – highly recommended (edready.org), an app. on your phone, or go and buy a study guide at a local or online bookstore
- Take a practice test (often found online or in the study guide book that was recommended you purchase)
- Evaluate what questions you missed on a practice test and determine if you can figure them out yourself or get help from friend, teacher at school, or a private tutor
- Know what to expect on test day. For example, what time does the exam begin (DO NOT BE LATE), the location of the exam, and what things to bring to the exam (photo ID, registration paperwork, etc.)
You can find helpful hints, specific strategies on preparing for the ACT, and a copy of a full-length ACT practice test here: Preparing for the ACT. As a best high school in Henderson, NSHS gives the above tips on how to prepare for the ACT exam, but as a general reminder, always get a healthy breakfast and good night’s sleep before the exam and good luck!