The five benefits of transferring high school mid-year in Las Vegas can create areas of growth and development to your educational future. When considering enrollment into a new school mid-year, you should first seek to understand your current school position. Ask yourself questions around attending a school that fits your needs (what are your needs?), interacting with students (who do you want to be around?), teachers, and staff that build your character (what are your enduring characteristics?), and looking forward to college and beyond (where do you want to be?). Working to answer these questions honestly can pay large dividends and give five essential benefits to transferring high school mid-year including:
- New Connections – with friends, teachers, staff and the community at and around the school. Social connections at school may need a “reset button” especially if the people you are hanging around with don’t make you a better person. You will not need to entirely leave the group of people at your current school, just look it as a way to make another group of friends. Again, build your social network around people that make you a better person – do not EVER compromise on this!
- New Opportunities – exists for students who know what they want. If you are a student looking to attend college after high school and you are not in a program to prepare you for college, then a mid-year transfer is what you should be looking for at this point. Your current school may not have such opportunities, in which case, they are grossly underserving you and finding a new academic opportunity with a better curriculum could serve and fit you well.
- Build your Experiences – of knowing the dynamics and academic rigor of two types of schools will empower you to make a more informed decision moving forward. Attending as a mid-year transfer will give you an opportunity to learn the culture and expectations at two different schools. At the end of your transfer experience, this will allow you to make the best decision for you, which may ultimately find you back at your original school. Looking back, you will have no regrets.
- Similar Goals – yield students with similar interests. Although not all students will have the same academic goals, they all will be at a school of choice (private/magnet/public charter school) because they intuitively embody a similar goal held by that academic institution. The benefit of a mid-year transfer will lead these individuals to the same doorstep where like-minded individuals can share, collaborate, and work towards the common mission of the school.
- Gain Credits – students can benefit from a mid-year transfer by gaining credits. Often times, students who transfer from one institution to another “during” the actual semester find that they may lose credits; however, waiting until the semester credits post to a transcript yield higher rates of transferability. Additionally, it will be a benefit to be a mid-year transfer student if the transferring institution’s course alignment differs from the current school (eg. 8 periods/day, dual credits for college, trimesters, etc.).
Start understanding your current position and asking questions about attending a school that fits your needs. Students will build personal responsibility and increase their social and academic readiness when considering a mid-year transfer. The five benefits of transferring high school mid-year in Las Vegas can help you grow and develop quicker towards your educational goals.